Commitment to Sustainability
With a commitment to sustainability, green practices and reducing our show’s environmental footprints, Outdoor Retailer practices what we believe—that sustainable business and environmental stewardship can go hand-in-hand as we move forward.
There are two participants in this: Outdoor Retailer and YOU!
What Green Steps can your company take?
If your company is taking active steps towards a healthy and greener outdoor industry to encourage environmentally friendly products, you have the opportunity to get the word out. For information about Green Steps Sponsorships please contact your Account Executive.
What Green Steps does Outdoor Retailer take?
- Renewable energy certificates purchased to offset 576 hours of standard power usage. This equals: approximately 120 fewer cars on the road per year; 156 acres of trees planted; or 1.3 million pounds of CO2 removed from the atmosphere.
- The aisle carpet used throughout the show is 25% recycled and the content is 100% recyclable. The aisle carpet is also reused at other Emerald Exposition events throughout the year.
- Offer recycled booth carpet to exhibitors.
- Use of biodegradable concession ware. Look for the black bins at the show to dispose of your biodegradable items so they end up at the local compost pile instead of the landfill.
- Recycled paper badges printed with soy ink instead of plastic and we reuse badge holders from year to year.
- Created a paperless press room at the show saving thousands of pounds of paper, shipping and fuel costs and resources.
- Negotiated green alternatives in Freeman catalogue of services.
- Initiated water stations show-wide to increase use of reusable water bottles.
- Pushed the Green Steps agenda into the tradeshow industry through participation in the GMIC (Green Meetings Industry Council) and IAEE (International Association of Exhibitions and Events).
- Reduced printing and increase use of electronic communication. For example: online registration, online exhibitor service manuals, e-newsletters and electronic sales kits.
- Offer carbon neutral travel program for customers traveling to the show.
- OR-ganic café at the show offering organic food options.
- Donated a Green Steps booth, seminar platform and produced carpet logos for Indigenous Designs, who helped initiate the program.
Colorado Convention Center
The Colorado Convention Center in Denver, CO has focused sustainable efforts in the following areas: